Internal medicine or general medicine is the medical specialty dealing with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of adult diseases. Doctors specializing in internal medicine are called physicians.
The following are the subspecialties are dealth in the Branch of Medicine-
- Adolescent medicine.
- Allergy, Asthma and Immunology concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and management of allergies, asthma and disorders of the immunology system.
- Cardiology dealing with disorders of the heart and blood vessels.
- Clinical cardiac electrophysiology.
- Critical care medicine.
- Endocrinology dealing with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific secretions called hormones.
- Gastroenterology, concerned with the field of digestive diseases.
- Geriatric medicine.
- Hematology, concerned with blood, the blood-forming organs and its disorders.
- Hospital medicine.
- Infectious disease, concerned with disease caused by a biological agent such as by a virus, bacterium or parasite.
- Interventional cardiology.
- Medical oncology dealing with the chemotherapeutic (chemical) treatment of cancer.
- Nephrology dealing with the study of the function and diseases of the kidney.
- Pulmonology dealing with diseases of the lungs and the respiratory tract.
- Rheumatology devoted to the diagnosis and therapy of rheumatic diseases.
- Sleep medicine.
- Sports medicine.